Stuff that occurs to me

All of my 'how to' posts are tagged here. The most popular posts are about blocking and private accounts on Twitter, also the science communication jobs list. None of the science or medical information I might post to this blog should be taken as medical advice (I'm not medically trained).

Think of this blog as a sort of nursery for my half-baked ideas hence 'stuff that occurs to me'.

Contact: @JoBrodie Email: jo DOT brodie AT gmail DOT com

Science in London: The 2018/19 scientific society talks in London blog post

Sunday 21 June 2009

Watching conference tweets in real time - how best?

There are probably an unlimited number of ways of following real time Twitter messages during a conference.

The ones I know of and have played with include:
  • Twitter search - search for the relevant tag and refresh periodically to bring up the latest messages
  • Monitter.com - add search term to one of the columns and sit back and watch it scroll with latest messages (auto update) - this one seems to be a drain on computer resources though
  • Twitterfall - similar to Monitter, real time (can vary the speed at which Tweets appear)
  • FriendFeed - can be used in a variety of ways and is generally my favourite
For the science communication conference I've created a FriendFeed room which has a feed taken from Twitter. It's been set up so that every time someone writes scc2009 or #scc2009 in a Tweet then that Tweet will be sent to the room (unless their Twitterstream is private, in which case it won't).

The problem is that each Tweet has lots its 'owner' - there's no indication who said it and everything is re-badged as coming from the SCC2009 room. This is fine if you just want to see what's being said but not that great if you want to see who said it.

How can I amend the settings to fix this, or can this not be done? Should I have done something else ;)

All of the other three methods maintain the 'so and so said' connection. Can't understand why the FriendFeed room - which is taken from the Twitter search (which does maintain the connection) - loses who said what.

Compare the pictures on the left hand side of the pages to see what I mean:
http://friendfeed.com/scc2009
http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23scc2009

Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment policy: I enthusiastically welcome corrections and I entertain polite disagreement ;) Because of the nature of this blog it attracts a LOT - 5 a day at the moment - of spam comments (I write about spam practices,misleading marketing and unevidenced quackery) and so I'm more likely to post a pasted version of your comment, removing any hyperlinks.

Comments written in ALL CAPS LOCK will be deleted and I won't publish any pro-homeopathy comments, that ship has sailed I'm afraid (it's nonsense).